If you haven't prepared Mexican food before, don't worry, this tamales recipe isn't difficult. Just get all of the ingredients below and follow the step-by-step instructions to learn how to make the perfect chicken tamales with a delicious tomatillo sauce, which adds a great fruity flavor and aromatic smell.
"Epigmenio Guzman and chef Adolfo Alvarado of Tu Y Yo Mexican Cuisine Restaurant walk you through the process of making tamales. Starting with masa, a flour ground from hominy that has been soaked and cooked in limewater, the masa is mixed with chicken stock and lard. Don't be put off by the use of lard, as it yields the most succulent texture for the dough! The dough is spread on banana leaves, then topped with chicken and a tomatillo sauce. Serve this dramatic little package to guests to slice open and reveal an aromatic, steaming entreé."
Makes 10 tamales (2 per serving)
* 2 jalapenos
* 8 tomatillos, husks removed
* 1 onion, chopped
* 2¼-2½ cups chicken stock, divided
* 2 cloves garlic
* 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
* ½ cup cilantro
* salt for seasoning
* 2 chicken breast halves, boiled & shredded
* 1 cup masa (corn flour)
* 2 tbsp lard
* 10 cut pieces of banana leaf, in 10" x 4" pieces or 10 dried corn husks (soaked in warm water 1 hour)
1. Boil chiles and tomatillos in salted water, whole, for 1 hour
2. Remove from water and reserve 2 tbsp of cooking liquid with tomatillos
3. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onions 10 minutes until translucent and lightly-browned
4. Transfer to blender with tomatillos and reserved cooking liquid, jalapenos, garlic cloves, 1 tbsp olive oil, and 1 cup of chicken stock. Blend until almost smooth
5. Add cilantro leaves and blend for 15 more seconds
6. Transfer to medium saucepan and simmer 5 minutes on medium-high heat to reduce
7. Add shredded, cooked chicken, simmer 5 minutes longer. Remove from heat
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.