This make-ahead of time entrée is elegant enough for entertaining, but it's also a wonderful way to dress up an everyday dinner by simply spreading herbed cream cheese over puff pastry, folding it around seared chicken and baking it until golden. Holiday Kitchen shows you this tasty dinner recipe for Herbed Chicken in Pastry. Try it out!
1/2 of a 17.3-ounce package Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets (1 sheet), thawed
1 tbsp water
Ground black pepper (optional)
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 lb)
2 tbsp butter
1 container (4 oz) garlic & herb spreadable cheese
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
flour for rolling
1. Take out a package of Puff Pastry Sheets and remove one from the box. Let it thaw on the counter for 40 minutes - or overnight in the fridge. Return the second to the freezer.
2. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
3. Make an egg wash for the pastry by beating an egg with one tablespoon of water in a small bowl with a fork or whisk.
4. Season the chicken breasts with black pepper.
5. Heat the butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 10 minutes or until it's well browned on both sides. Remove the chicken to a plate, cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes or up to 24 hours.
6. Lightly flour your surface and unfold one pastry sheet. Roll the pastry into a 14-inch square. Cut it into 4 (7 inch) squares.
7. Spread about 2 tablespoons of the garlic & herb spreadable cheese in the center of each pastry square. Top the cheese with a tablespoon of parsley and then the cooled chicken breast.
8. Brush the edges of the pastry squares with the egg mixture. Fold the corners of the pastry squares to the center over the chicken and press to seal.
9. Place the filled pastries seam-side down onto a baking sheet. Brush the pastries with the egg mixture.
10. Bake the chicken for 25 minutes or until the pastries are golden brown.
11. Let the pastries cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before serving.