Chicken cacciatore, or "hunter's chicken," is an easy dish to create at home. This is a video recipe for Chicken Cacciatore.
You Will Need
* ¼ cup, plus 2 tbsp of olive oil
* 1 onion, thinly sliced
* 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
* Ground black pepper
* 3 lb boneless chicken thighs & breasts, with skin
* 2 c white wine or dry red wine
* 1 32-oz can of tomatoes or 2 pounds of fresh tomatoes, chopped
* 1 tbsp chopped fresh or dried rosemary
* 1/3 c chopped fresh basil
* A deep, heavy bottomed skillet with lid
* A bell pepper, seeded and chopped
* A zucchini, chopped
* 1 c chopped wild mushrooms
Step 1: Heat oil
Pour 2 tbsp of oil into the skillet and turn the burner to medium. When the oil begins to shimmer, add the sliced onions & garlic and cook, stirring, for 8 to 10 min, until the onions are soft and translucent.
Step 2: Season the chicken
While the onions & garlic are cooking sprinkle both sides of each chicken thigh or breast liberally with salt & pepper.
Step 3: Cook chicken
Remove the onions and garlic and set them aside. Add the rest of the oil to the pan and heat it on medium until it simmers. Then add the chicken, skin-side down, and cook it for 8 min, turning it once after 4 min.
Step 4: Add wine & tomatoes
With the heat still on medium, add the wine and simmer for 3 min. Then, add the tomatoes.
Step 5: Simmer
Make sure the chicken pieces are skin-side up, and turn the heat down to medium-low until the liquid in the pot reaches a simmer. Partially cover the pot with the lid, and cook the stew over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 30 min, until the chicken is tender and a third to a half of the liquid from the tomatoes has evaporated.
Step 6: Add other ingredients
Return the onions & garlic to the pan, and add the rosemary & basil. Add the bell pepper, zucchini, & mushrooms, if using.
Step 7: Serve!